Sunday, July 15, 2012

SITTING ON THE SHOULDERS OF UNCLES


Uncles were created for no other reason than to carry nephews on their shoulders.  From the dawn of recorded history, its just what uncles and nephews do.  Don't believe me?  Just check out this creepy ancient photo - my Latin is a little shaky but I'm pretty certain thats some class uncle-nephew bonding


You think maternal instincts are strong?  Wait until you're an uncle.  I can sense the minute when his legs start to give and he's in need of a little boost.  Or when he wants to see what its like to be a 7 footer.  Or when he wants to stick his head through the branches of a tree.  Or when he pees his pants and doesn't want to walk anymore, and nobody tells said uncle that he has peed his pants, until the uncle asks about a mile later why his neck is so wet (true story...talk about some uncle dedication) 

But, truth be told, when I lift Braeden or Adam onto my shoulders, they are really lifting me.  There is no greater feeling than to have one of those little guys up there, laughing all the way.  A lot of love goes into that shoulders-to-nephew-butt connection and I'll miss the day when they are too hefty to hoist (given B's pursuit of all things food - do all diabetics eat this much!? - that may not be too far away).

There is a metaphor in all of this though; some day Braeden will be an uncle and a mighty fine one at that, and the folks at JDRF are doing their work to make sure he gets there and stays an uncle for the long haul.  And the folks like YOU are doing your work to make sure the JDRF has the fuel to keep the research moving.  As Isaac Newton once famously requoted, "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."  So join me and 



No comments:

Post a Comment